Do you have that one plate that you never use since you can’t endure to view pasta sauce smeared all over it? Or have you eyed a fairly dish at a shop and wished you had a use for this? Rather than relegating it into the dark of your cabinet, show it off. After all, integrating plates into your decoration — whether they’re heirloom bits or mismatched vintage flea market finds — can be a playful, inexpensive way to liven up your home.
1. Produce wall artwork. A brilliant montage of dishes is a great way to add interest and whimsy to any wall without needing to invest huge bucks. It’s possible to locate plate hangers at most craft and home shops.
Step-by-Step: How to Hang Plates
Tired of fundamental paintings or artwork prints over the couch? Start looking for musicians, for example Piero Fornasetti, who use ceramics as their moderate.
Neuhaus Design Architecture, P.C.
2. Show off your collection. A cube shelf along one wall is an excellent way to store and display favorite kitchenware.
3. Have fun! Pick a motif and play with this. Grouping similar plates in a variety of sizes causes an eye catching montage. Or, if you’ve plates of different colours and designs, pick similar-size ones to hang together to get a more ordered but visually intriguing appearance.
Leslie Goodwin Photography
4. Accentuate a motif. Punctuate a room by displaying corresponding plate artwork. Here, the playful arrangement of white plates on a gray wall perfectly offsets this black and white dining area. Why don’t you display white and blue china within an Asian-theme space or Talavera plates at a Spanish colonial revival house?
Kati Curtis Design
5. Fill a little space. Pep an otherwise insignificant corner of your house by closely grouping a set that incorporates a variety of shapes and dimensions.
CapeRace Cultural Adventures
6. Ditch the cabinets. Allow your taste in kitchenware to glow by adopting open shelving. Neat piles and artful arrangements would be the trick to fairly screens.
7. Rack them up. An open cottage-style plate rack is a great space saver which also permits you to showcase your collection. While a monochromatic set of dishes will achieve a clean appearance, an eclectic assortment such as the one pictured adds a welcoming pattern of colour.
Browse plate racks
8. Create unforgettable table settings. Like the perfect fashion accessory, the right dishes can set a table off beautifully. Invest in china which will accentuate the decor of your dining area. Breathe life into a normal table setting by mixing and matching — pair your grandma’s china with modern pieces, for instance.
For further inspiration, check out Shax Riegler’s stunning book Dish: 813 Colorful, Beautiful Dinner Plates (Artisan, $35).
Decorating With Dishes
Create the Dining Room More Fun
Calling All Dishaholics
House Planning: How to Set Up Your Kitchen